CUSTOMER CASE STUDY
Planet DDS is a SaaS provider of Dental Practice Management Software (PMS) via their Denticon application. Denticon is a powerful, web-based dental practice management software application, which can be configured to the needs of any type of dental practice. Sometimes known as web-based or ASP dental practice management software, Denticon’s use of internet technology opens the door to 21st century tools and services that are unavailable with traditional dental practice management software.
“Maestro takes dentists’ automated communication with their patients to a whole new level. It allows them to nurture relationships with their patients in a way that is unique to the industry.”
William Jackson, DDS
VP Business Development
Planet DDS, Inc.
In an ongoing effort to create a sustainable competitive advantage, Planet DDS was looking to either create on their own, or partner with an organization that could provide, an automated marketing communication module for their dental practice customers.
Planet DDS works with their customers, dental offices, to help manage patient appointments, visits and the overall patient experience via their Patient Management System, Denticon. Denticon provides modules for Schedule Management, Insurance Management, Doctor Management, Location Management, and Multi-Specialty Management. In an effort to create more value for their customers, Planet DDS was looking for ways to make their offering all inclusive to the needs of dental practices. One of these areas is patient communication.
As in most businesses, dental offices wanted to communicate with their patients outside the four walls of their practice. The main goal of increasing patient communication is to increase patient loyalty and to decrease the number of broken appointments, or appointments where the patient doesn’t show up.
The challenge that presents itself when increasing the volume of patient communication are the costs associated with paying for an employee to create and send those communications and the cost of the communications themselves.
Automated marketing is a tool that reduces the costs of labor associated with increased marketing communications. However, options for providers on the market are relatively expensive, $299 and more. Marketing automation companies, like DemandForce and Lighthouse 360, provide patient communication services for expensive premiums and are usually not interested in partnerships that could make a solution look like an added feature to existing Denticon customers.
Through a private label license of Maestro, Planet DDS now offers a robust Patient Communication Module, called Dentigram, taking full advantage of the capabilities Maestro’s application offers. Those capabilities include ways to actually reach patients: email, direct mail, SMS and call center. Unique to Maestro are cascading messages which allows an individual communication to cascade from email to direct mail if that email was not opened in a certain number of days or if an email bounces, ensuring that the patient receives the message in another alternate manner.
Dentigram operates using BluePrints of dental marketing best practices as predetermined by dental industry experts. Using data supplied by Denticon, Dentigram communicates with patients based on triggers set within communication BluePrints. BluePrints automate the communication of appointment reminders, appointment confirmations, lost patient recovery, recall messages for children and adults separately, birthday, anniversary, periodontal appointment reminders, post-visit thank you messages and remaining benefit notifications among other customizable options. Dentigram also allows dentists to completely customize their message triggers, timing or delivery options while also allowing dentists to create their own custom BluePrints that meet the needs of their practice.
BluePrint Time To Market
It only required three (3) total weeks of effort to bring the Dentigram solution to market. This consisted of 1 week development time (total between Planet DDS and Maestro combined) and 3 concurrent weeks of BluePrint development, roll out strategy, collateral development and lead generation plan.
The benefit to Planet DDS in partnering with Maestro is that Maestro provides white-labeled, patient communication via more channels than any competitor at a competitive price (average savings of $250 per office per month over DemandForce or Lighthouse360). Also unique to Maestro is the Cascaded Messaging option that allows communications to reach the patient one channel at a time, until the message reaches the patient’s preferred channel of communication. This feature allows a higher percentage of messages to actually reach the patient.
Phase I – “Opt-In”
- Maestro supports all client adoption efforts including marketing strategy, collateral development and lead generation.
- Maestro is responsible for driving all dental office interest and turning interested offices over to 1 inside salesperson at Planet DDS.
- Lead generation efforts were so successful that Planet DDS turned off the lead generation efforts at least 10 different times, accounting for 80% of the available business hours.
- Planet DDS was able to convert 50% of the leads generated in the first 8 weeks.
Phase II – “Opt-Out”
- This transition in strategy changes the paradigm from driving 1% adoption per month, to managing only offices that manually opt-out of Dentigram (anticipated at 20%).
- Revenues from Dentigram Basic, alone, will represent a minimum 15% increase in top line revenues, estimating a 20% opt-out rate.
- Offices are saving on average $250 per month using Dentigram over DemandForce or Lighthouse360.
- Offices are noticing a significant reduction in appointment no-shows.
- Offices are happily surprised to learn that after signing up, there is nothing for them to do but receive fulfillment analytics.
Time to Market
- Prior to partnering with Maestro Planet DDS had invested countless months of development efforts and staffing resources into their own patient communication systems (2 separate times) that left their offices desiring more. So much so, they ultimately abandoned both products.
- Maestro’s infrastructure required less than 3 weeks of total time to market: including development, data sync, marketing strategy, sales approach, branding, collateral development, pricing and BluePrint creation.